Subject: foo
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/21/2003 02:00:32
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/09/20/0005.html

I can only guess at how many emails my systems have been hit with since
I saw the very first one hit on Thursday afternoon/evening.  Sometimes
two from different sources have come within about a minute of one another,
other times as much as 10 or even 30 minutes could pass.  (Though at
first it almost looked like a regular-every-10-minutes deal.)

Fortunately, the *first* hit bounced because of the GIF (my system rejects
GIF's).  Then a minute or so later, the *second* one would try to get in.
About 3 of those got through (the first one because I didn't have ".bat"
files (or ".scr"?) screened for, I think).

Re-engaging anti-HTML-in-email filters catched them too.  I can (and as need
be, will) add cases for each new filename suffix that I find out which MS uses
and which allow viruses to spread, but blocking HTML is an extra layer of defense,
and I have yet to see sufficient reason to allow it, in view of the abuse
that it suffers.

Appropriately (see the above URL; (^&), fortune told me this when I logged in:

Give me the Luxuries, and the Hell with the Necessities!