Subject: Re: DAM! All that spam!....
To: Todd Gruhn <tgruhn2@mail.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/2003 19:46:10
At 9:13 PM +0800 9/20/03, Todd Gruhn wrote:
>For the last 2 days, I have been getting 20 to 40 messages
>per day -- it seems like they grow overnight :-<
>
>I ripped off a header to to send to you guys as an example:
>
>	Printable Version	Flag this message.
>From: "MS Technical Assistance"
><wybersffrdkpesf@newsletters.msdn.com> [Save Address] [Block Sender]
>To: " " <customer.kgdbnwnvvg@newsletters.msdn.com>
>Subject: Current Network Pack
>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:12:51 -0700
>Show Full Headers
>
>Its' from a MS network two a MS network -- and yet I get
>20+ of these things in my mail box! Would it be safe to
>assume that MS has security problems over at coprorate
>HQ?

Actually, it's not FROM Microsoft or TO Microsoft. It's usually from
some idiot DSL or cable Internet subscriber (running WinTel). It is
just spoofed to LOOK like it's coming from Microsoft. Yeah, like they
could fit a combined updater that covers every patch EVER on 95, 98,
ME, NT, XP and W2k into a 100k attachment :P.

Click on the "blah, blah" show full headers button (or whatever
mechanism your MUA uses) and take a look at the "return-path:" and
the "Received:" headers. You'll see that it never went through any
Microsoft computer.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.