Subject: Re: operator shuts down system? (newbie question)
To: Zhang Weiwu <weiwuzhang@hotmail.com>
From: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@ncbr.chemi.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/16/2003 10:26:43
> I don't know about this, and a simple google search "netbsd operator
> shutdown" didn't confirm that.

$ ls -la /sbin/shutdown
-r-sr-xr--  1 root  operator  270248 Sep  8  2002 /sbin/shutdown

> So I tried it on my 1.6.2. I put some users into the operator group,
> they don't have premission to run "shutdown".
> I have netbsd on a notebook. I often log in as normal user, and quit
> with a "su" and "shutdown". Is there a bettery way?
it works for me this way, so i don't know where could be the problem. even the file permissions suggest that any user from operator group should be capable of shutting the system down - and it really works...

regards,
lubos