Subject: Re: mbr for wd1
To: P Kozberski <pkoz@adam.com.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/15/2003 20:04:56
On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:06:20PM +0000, P Kozberski wrote:

> When adding a second hd to a system is there a single mbr or 2 mbr's: one for
> each hd?
>
> When I 'fdisk wd1' it indicated that wd1 has no disklabel.
>
> Wd1 contains a bootable XP os, does it need labelling?

If it doesn't have a NetBSD partition, no (this would erase the mbr)

> I tried to label without losing data but it did not work.
> ie. copy ficticious disklabel created into /etc/disktab and use this
> to add a label to the hd.
>
> The menu that I constructed shows:
>
> F4: NetBSD      ie. partition 3 on disk 0
> F1: WinXP           partition 0 on disk 1
>
> but I had expected: F1: NetBSD
>                     F2: WinXP
>
> Is it possible to show both drives in the one table?

No, but you can ask the boot menu on the fisrt drive to boot the
second drive (but not a specific partition on the second drive - you'd
need a second boot menu on the second drive for that)

try fdisk -B wd0

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>