Subject: Re: using "shutdown" as a shell
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@chemi.muni.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/11/2003 19:55:50
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> in the past, we had such a special user in the netbsd and it worked. we
> had binary called "shutup" (sgid operator, a simple program executing
> shutdown -r now), used as a shell for user shutdown. however, after the
> reinstallation of the system from 1.5a to 1.6.1 it stopped working
> (problems with libraries). i recompiled the source, restored the
> settings, but:
>
> after execution from the command prompt, it restarts the system - no problem
>
> after invocation as a shell does 5 seconds nothing and then returns back
> to the login prompt.

I noticed that you check that that the terminal name is
"/dev/console". Does that mean you have wscons configured out of
your kernel, or is it just that you don't have "wscons=YES" in
"/etc/rc.conf"? I ask because it may be that ttyname() reports the
actual underlying tty in some circumstancs (i.e. "/dev/ttyE0").

Frederick