Subject: Re: C++, GLUT, and function pointers.
To: Ingolf Steinbach <Ingolf.Steinbach@jena-optronik.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/11/2003 17:20:51
On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:03:12PM +0200, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:
> Hi, Richard.

Hi, again, Ingolf.  Can't get rid of me.  (^&

> Richard Rauch wrote:
> > Is this considered a known bug?  I thought that *static* member functions
> > could have their addresses taken just like "real" functions.
 [...]
> I did not investigate your problem further. There might be
> another bug which is the real reason for the crashes.

Well, playing with that didn't help any, but I tracked down the freeglut
library, built it (it needed to be told where to find the X11 headers)
and compiled it.

The good news is that it doesn't crash for me.

The bad news is that it doesn't support X11 button events for more
than 3 buttons (this effectively kills scroll-wheel support).

The good news to *that* is that freeglut is under a less restrictive
license (BSDish/X Consortiumish), and is being maintained.  (Mark
Kilgard's original GLUT seems to have more or less languished since
1998.)

If there's interest in a package for this, maybe I can throw one
together.  (Or maybe it will be included in XFree86 soonish, or can
be integrated to NetBSD's X11 distribution?)

(This should be over on tech-x11 by now.  *Grin*  Oh well...)