Subject: Re: Kernel panic if tape in drive at boot
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/08/2003 09:30:33
On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 09:24, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> I've got a machine with an ATAPI Seagate 10/20 Travan tape drive. It's
> running 1.6.1. If a tape is in the drive at boot time, the kernel panics.
>
> st0 st0(pciide0:1:1) polling command not done
> panic: scsipi_execute_xs
>
> The trace is:
>
> scsipi_execute_xs
> atapi_scsipi_cmd
> scsipi_command
> scsipi_test_unit_ready
> stattach
> st_atapibus_attach
> config_attach
> atapi_probe_device
> etc...

That's an odd one.  Have a look:

http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache:gvlpWC03Y8YJ:mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2002/12/15/0015.html+netbsd+Seagate+travan+panic&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

If it were up to me, I would make an Bootable ISO from an i386 -current
snapshot.  Disconnect hard drives with critical data.  Boot the CD and
see if it's been fixed in current.  A lot of ATAPI/SCSI changes have
been made since the branch, some as early as today (yesterday).

-lava

--

l8*,
	-lava