Subject: Re: shutdown with ctrl-alt-del
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2003 17:56:06
Quoting Roberto Pereyra (netbsd@gualeguaychu.gov.ar):
> I need it for shutdown a i386 box without display.
> > I want to enable a Netbsd 1.6.1 shutdown with the keyboard like CTR-ALT-DEL in freebsd or linux.
> >
> > I can do it ? What I must do ?

One way that may be even BETTER is to attach a simple
button to a serial port (or a pin on a parallel port
if you must).

Push the button and the program of choice runs from ttyb.

Usually this is getty.

You can change it.
(see /etc/ttys  and man ttys to change this).

Perhaps to a script that does 'halt -p' (or shutdown
if you want to be nice).

Any momentary switch would do it, attached to pins I can't name
from here for some power and to,er, CD? RTS?

I have notes elsewhere and my 20 years of serial port tweaking is
2 years behind me - I used to know this cold.  Man, I forget
serial details, but still remember 2nd grade social studies topics.
How useless is that?  Stupid brain.

Basically, you want to trigger the init to start the program.

Big red button.   Marked "launch" :)