Subject: Re: Wanted a better console
To: Subhro <subhro_kar@fastmail.fm>
From: Gilbert FERNANDES <gilbert.fernandes@wanadoo.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/02/2003 21:54:13
> I have newly installed NetBSD 1.6 and all the shells are default.
> Is there any way I can make the up and down arrows recall the history
> starting with the last command executed

Various shells allow that. On the base install you have the korn shell
that can do that, both command history and command completion.

If your account is named "myself" you can choose to use korn using
this command :

chpass -s /bin/ksh myself

Then edit your ~/.profile and add those lines :

set -o emacs
bind '^I'=complete

The emacs mode will make up/down arrows show command history
and the ^I is the TAB, which we link to complete. Korn offers 3 kinds
of complete: command complete, file complete (local dir) or both.

--
Gilbert Fernandes