Subject: Re: ...pkgsrc/audio/libmad not found?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Soren Jacobsen <soren@blef.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/05/2003 16:06:37
On 08/05 05:16, Richard Rauch wrote:
> Yes, locate's database is only updated in the weekly script.  I wasn't
> emphatic enough: There was NO libmad package (i.e., ...pkgsrc/*/libmad/
> dir).  I only mentioned locate because I *could* locate the libmad
> libraries.  (It appears that the ...pkgsrc/audio/mad package installed
> those, but mplayer & ogle both want libmad, *not* mad.)
>
> I fixed the problem by doing the suggested cvs checkout.  Then I hit
> another missing pkgsrc directory, so I did a complete checkout of
> all of pkgsrc, and finally was able to build mplayer again.
>
> Maybe my use of cvs was incorrect, but I thought that "update" was supposed
> to get new directories as well as update old ones, so that "cvs
> update" should have given me an update of all of pkgsrc, not just the
> existing files and directories.

cvs(1) has this to say:
Use the -d option  to  create  any  directories  that exist  in  the
repository if they're missing from the working directory.  (Normally,
update  acts  only  on directories  and  files that were already
enrolled in your working directory.)  This is useful for updating
directories that were created in the repository since the initial
checkout; but it has an unfortunate  side effect.    If   you
deliberately   avoided  certain

One of the lines in my ~/.cvsrc is:
update -d -P

(-P deletes old directories no longer present in the repository)