Subject: ISDN (was Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/28/2003 13:33:22
On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 07:55:20AM -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> So just out of interest, will the European ISDN cards work in the US?
> What are the best PCI cards to use over here?

AFAIK, the cards themselves will work in the US; however, passive
cards won't work under NetBSD. Passive cards require the host to
implement the ISDN protocol stack, and i4b doesn't speak NI-1. I have
a Teles S0/16.3 passive card, and would like to add NI-1 support, but
I haven't had the time, and I'm not sure if I even have enough
information to do it (NI-1 specs are expensive).

I think active cards will work--the ISDN stack runs on the card
itself. I don't know that for sure though.

Anyways, I actually still have an ISDN line (in Texas, there aren't
any per-minute charges for ISDN calls; just a monthly charge that
doesn't depend on usage). I'd love to be able to use an ISDN card to
do some telephony stuff. E.g., smart answering machine, as you
mention... maybe an H.263 gateway (is that the right protocol? The
one that lets NetMeeting-type programs call a phone on the PSTN).
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++