Subject: Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?
To: Thomas Hafner <hafner@sdf-eu.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/27/2003 19:47:12
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/06/27/0014.html

Yeah, my family name comes from Germany.  Circa 1820's...there's some
question how he pronounced it, apparently depending upon where he lived.
Most of my immediate family don't pronounce the ``ch'' at all in ``Rauch''.
That solves a small world of problems.  (^&

Tangentially, one of my cousins took a course in German, and a classmate
of hers had a lastname that meant "fire" in German (Feuer?).  My
cousin concluded that this was unavoidable, because where there's
Rauch, there's Feuer...  (ahem)

As for the 1.6 vs. 1.6.1 confusion, I don't know what I was thinking.
Sorry.  Maybe the reference to 1.4.1 (re. pkgsrc) got my eyes crossed?
Maybe some smoke from my name blew into my eyes and I couldn't see straight?
Maybe it was aliens, fooling with my computer when I wasn't looking?
Sorry.

Re. the messasge ids, that's not the issue.  It's URL's that I'm talking
about.  E.g.:

  http://www.netbsd.org/

...is picked up as a URL and turned into an <a>nchor by the web-interface
to the lists.  This is nice, but if you put <angle-brackets> around it,
as you did in http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/06/26/0016.html
(the README-all.html URL about 25 lines down from the top), or abutt any
other punctuation to the tail end, the web-interface gets confused.  (^&

Finally, about the monitor: Okay, I misunderstood.  I thought that you
meant that you wanted a GUI application for raising/lowering the interface
with the click of a mouse, and were just refering to a particular program
(which happened to be a traffic monitor) that let you do this.

When I want to watch traffic on my DSL connection, other than by watching
LED's on the ethernet and/or modem, I usually use tcpdump.  (^&
(``tcpdump -i <interface> -s 1500 -X'' and let it go in an xterm.)  I really
should do what someone else (Steve Bellovin?) suggested, and spew that to
a log file, then rotate logs every thousand or so packets.  As it is, I only
turn it on sporadically when I want to watch some particular stream of
data...

This is probably more than you really were expecting...

Again, sorry for any confusion I caused.  Just read my .signature and
carry on.  (^&