Subject: Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/27/2003 08:15:48
> > Ack, but if I'm interested in software, that doesn't exist for NetBSD
> > but for Debian GNU/Linux? (I think, the latter one consist of nearly
> > 10000 packages, which is probably more than NetBSD offers.)

The number of packages is misleading. Debian often splits the same
software into multiple packages (for development, libraries, commands,
documentation, for example).

> mentioned above, pkgsrc is growing all the time, and the developers
> are generally very friendly (just ignore Greg Woods).

I disagree. From what I have read on various mailing lists (including
outside of NetBSD), Greg is very knowledgable and has a lot of Unix (and
NetBSD) administration experience. As with any community, members
communicate in different ways.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/