Subject: Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/26/2003 07:22:24
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:09:30PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > If you really know and like Debian a lot, you can probably use the
> > Debian distribution's userland in place of SUSE.  (Do note that by
> > definition, a compatibility layer is probably always going to lag a
> > little.
>
> 	Small comment on this - the emulation layer will add a
> 	small overhead in most syscalls, but in some cases can end

Ah!

A different meaning of "lag".

I am *assuming* that when a GNU/LINUX kernel feature is added, there
is generally a bit of lag time before that feature appears in emulation.
That's what I meant.  I haven't tracked this carefully, but gathered
that there was some lag before, e.g., the GNU/LINUX clone() call was
added to our emulation layer.

Sorry for speaking vaguely.  (^&