Subject: Re: emulating Debian GNU/Linux?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/26/2003 13:09:30
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Richard Rauch wrote:

> If you really know and like Debian a lot, you can probably use the
> Debian distribution's userland in place of SUSE.  (Do note that by
> definition, a compatibility layer is probably always going to lag a
> little.

	Small comment on this - the emulation layer will add a
	small overhead in most syscalls, but in some cases can end
	up running binaries faster than the native system. This
	was very much the case running Ultrix binaries on a
	NetBSD/mips system, as the NetBSD kernel was much more
	efficient in just about every area compared to Ultrix.

	I would not expect to see the same situation with regards
	to Linux binaries, but there are undoubtably systemcalls
	where there is a significant difference in performance
	between NetBSD emulated Linux and native Linux (in both
	directions), and depending on a programs syscall usage it
	could noticibly faster on one or the other. :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --