Subject: Re: Is this a hardware Problem?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julian C. Dunn - Lists <lists@aquezada.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/24/2003 07:32:13
On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 02:17, Beaker wrote:

> I've got a Sparc 1+ running NetBSD-1.6.1 which I'm getting the following odd

SPARC questions should go to netbsd-sparc.

> behavior during boot: everything appears to load normally until it gets to the
> framebuffer (a cg3) at which point a blank line followed by repeating "Select
> (b), (c), or (n)" lines that don't abort with STOP+A is produced. The odd

The "select (b), (c) or (n)" is the "restricted" mode of the PROM,
usually enabled when the sysadmin doesn't want regular users mucking
around with the full PROM. b == boot, c == continue, n == new command
mode (enters the regular PROM mode -- you need to enter the PROM
password if one has been set up). You can disable this mode entirely
with an NVRAM setting, the name of which escapes me right now.

So it looks like your boot failed and dropped into the PROM. Try
entering "c" to continue and see what happens?

- Julian

--
[    Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com> * <julian@dreaming.org>    ]
[   WWW: http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/  * PGP: 0xFDC205B9   ]