Subject: Is this a hardware Problem?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker (Jeff W) <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/2003 23:17:39
I've got a Sparc 1+ running NetBSD-1.6.1 which I'm getting the following odd
behavior during boot: everything appears to load normally until it gets to the
framebuffer (a cg3) at which point a blank line followed by repeating "Select
(b), (c), or (n)" lines that don't abort with STOP+A is produced. The odd
thing is if I either change the kernel (GENERIC <=> GENERIC-SCSI3) and/or
change the `sd-targets' (31204567 <=> 01234567) the system often boots
successfully and doesn't display any additional odd behavior. I did notice
that during a successful boot there is a "waiting 2 seconds for Sbus0 to
settle..." message immediately following the "cg3" line, which made me think
that maybe the system board is going bad. I'm fairly certain the framebuffer
is fine and not the culprit as I swapped it out with a know good one.

Hardware Ref:
Sun Sparc 1+ w/ OpenBoot 1.3
64MB RAM, Wietek 25MHz CPU
Seagate ST1480N (424MB)