Subject: RE: NetBSD on VMWare
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Julian C. Dunn - Lists <lists@aquezada.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/2003 18:54:42
On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 16:37, Ambarish Malpani wrote:

> I was using Workstation 3 and upgraded to Workstation 4. Both
> worked just fine. I am on NetBSD 1.6.1. Used the virtual IDE
> disk.

Strange. Now that I remember a bit more about the problem, the disk was
actually recognized by the installer CD kernel (verified by looking at
dmesg), but the installer didn't recognize it.

I think it deserves more investigation. I'll try it again at work
tomorrow.

> > > 2. (I think), VMWare acts like I have a 10Mbps networking
> > card, even
> > > though I have a 100Mbps card. This slows down my file
> > transfer speed
> > > more than it needs to....
> >
> > Have you verified this analytically, or are you just
> > hypothesizing due to the fact that VMWare emulates an AMD PCNet card?
>
> Got this from their messages, but on measuring the speed of transfer,
> I do see rates faster than 2MBps (16Mbps), so maybe they do use
> the interface at the best speed they can get out of it.

Alistair posted his ifconfig output saying that it was a 10 Mbps card,
but I'd be interested in doing some test transfers to see what happens.

Theoretically, one would expect the maximum speed to be a bit slower
than the host computer's card speed, since the data has to be munged by
VMWare and fed to the guest.

- Julian

--
[    Julian C. Dunn <jdunn@aquezada.com> * <julian@dreaming.org>    ]