Subject: Re: d-link dwl 660 / pci-pcmcia bridge...
To: Siegmund Fuhringer <sifu@0xx0.net>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@selresearch.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/17/2003 16:12:22
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:02:53 +0200
Siegmund Fuhringer <sifu@0xx0.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:50:30PM -0700, John Gordon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > >i've an d-link dwl 660 wireless pccard lying around and would like to
> > >use it with a desktop pc.
> >
> > Did you really mean DWL-660? That doesn't seem to be listed on the
> > D-Link web site.
>
> yes i really mean 660 :) :
>
> http://www.dlink.com.au/products/wireless/dwl660/

I've seen references on the web suggesting that the DWL-660 is Lucent
based, which would mean that it could work with NetBSD.  Given the way
that Linksys switches around their hardware on a whim, it is hard to know
for sure that it would work -- I've got DWL-650s that are PRISM2 based
PCMCIA cards, and I had a DWL-650 that is Cardbus-based (and, IIRC, used
an AMD chipset?).

It might be cheaper to just buy $30 a Linksys WMP11 or similar PCI card
rather than a $25 PCMCIA-to-PCI adaptor, only to find out that the DWL-660
is too funky to work, or your adaptor is unsupported by NetBSD, etc.
I've seen much whining and nashing of teeth amongst folks trying to
get good PCMCIA-to-PCI adaptors.

Good luck,

Kevin
kml@selresearch.net