Subject: None
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drkilloran@speakeasy.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/16/2003 11:04:14
Stephen Borrill wrote:
>I've just purchased a cheap Turbo-Trak USB keyboard, but when I connect it
>up (to various ports on different machines running ...
>...snip...
>uhub_explore: usb_new_device failed, error=SHORT_XFER
>
>Serves me right buying cheap rubbish, but (as expected) it works with
>Windows.

This is a VERY frequent failing of USB stuff designed for Windoze! If
a hardware device doesn't use a command, it ignores it. This is a
violation of the USB spec - the divice should STALL the bus when it
doesn't recognize a command. Windoze works around this, but Apple
considers that it indicates the device is broken, or turned off, so
it is considered a fatal error. Apparently NetBSD sides with Apple.

You should be able to modify the USB driver to just omit the command.
You may find others that have to be omitted.

Dan Killoran

PS-Your email handler wouldn't let me send you this offline