Subject: Re: NFS hang problem
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2003 08:22:50
> Sorry to be following up to myself, but I tried the same test with a
> PCMCIA ethernet adapter that shows up as ex0 instead of the wireless
> card, and everything worked OK.  So there is something strange going
> on with the wireless interface.
>
> > I've got an NFS server running netbsd-1.6 i386, and a laptop machine
> > NFS mounting a filesystem from the server.
> >
> > The filesystem mount is accessible, however when I try to cat a large
> > file, the cat command hangs, and in fact is not breakable with ^C.
> > cat on small files works fine.

How large is large?

I suspect that something between your server and the client doesn't
have enough buffer space to hold an entire UDP message.  So you are
getting lost packets and lots of retries.  If the error is systematic
then the retries won't succeed either.

Likely places where packets are lost:
- the ethernet -> wireless bridge (because it does rate adaption)
- the wireless card (because you cant read data off it fast enough)

Try changing the mount to use 8k (from 32k) reads and writes.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk