Subject: Re: Problems compiling teTex2 package
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2003 22:43:58
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:30:55 +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> How can I see the version of pkgsrc installed here?

There's no single place to look that I know of.  I keep mine up to date
with sup(1); it updates /usr/pkgsrc/CVS/Entries.  You could also compare
the revision label in /usr/pkgsrc/README to what's in CVS.

> It isn't a newer version and I have a question about it. If I update my
> older pkgsrc to a newer version, is there any problem with programs
> currently installed from the older tree?

That depends.  pkgsrc takes a very conservative view of dependencies: if
you try to add something from a newer pkgsrc that relies on something
that's already installed, and said "something" was updated in pkgsrc since
you installed it, then "make install" will tell you to update it first.

Example.  You want to install FOO from your new pkgsrc, but FOO depends on
the BAR shared library.  You have BAR 2.3 installed, but FOO wants BAR 2.5
(because in pkgsrc, FOO usually wants the latest BAR).  You say "cd
/usr/pkgsrc/fooness/foo; make", and pkgsrc fetches BAR for you, builds it,
and then complains that it can't install BAR because BAR 2.3 is already
there.  If your planets are aligned, you uninstall BAR and repeat, and all
goes well the second time around.  If it's your typical rainy Tuesday in
June in New York, BAR 2.3 is used by TAP and can't be uninstalled until
TAP is.  By this route you slowly unravel your machine while pulling out
your hair.

There are ways around the problem I've described, but you asked if there
are "any problems".  I would say conflicting installed packages is near
the top of everyone's grouse list, but it's the state of the art at the
moment, I'm afraid.

--jkl