Subject: perl and locale
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2003 11:53:37
Whenever I use perl, I get the warning:
,----
| perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
| perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
|         LC_ALL = (unset),
|         LC_MESSAGES = "C",
|         LANG = "de_DE.ISO8859-1"
|     are supported and installed on your system.
| perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
`----

The mentioned setting is correct. The files under
/usr/share/locale exists as well as under /usr/pkg/share/locale. Other
applications make use of it (if I unset LC_MESSAGES I get german error
messages from 'ls' for example). The section describing this warning in
perldoc perllocale doesn't help. As far as I can see, the system is set
up correctly.

I am using Perl 5.8.0. And I get this warning whenever any of the
localisation variables is set to an other value as "C".

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying warning besides setting
PERL_BADLANG?

TIA,
Martin