Subject: Re: "good" domain name for internal network
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2003 00:33:56
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:09:13 +0900, henry nelson
<netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> I'm in the final stages to setting up DNS service on my internal
> networks(home/office lan) and getting ready to drop my reliance on
> /etc/hosts. I'd like to use domain names to identify what/where the
> network is, but I'd rather not use things like .edu or .ac.xx (xx = some
> country's abbreviation).  Are there suffixes to domain names that are
> reserved for internal networks in a sense similar to the reserved IP
> address ranges,

http://www.opennic.unrated.net/

There's positively nothing constraining you to use any predetermined TLD.
The only advantage to registering a secondary (or other) domain name is
that it becomes included in the main DNS root servers, and thereby
accessible by the whole internet.  Inside your LAN, you can use .henry if
you like.  If you go one step further and register a new TLD with OpenNIC,
your machines' names will be resolveable by you and a merry band of
refuseniks.

--jkl