Subject: Re: pkgsrc question
To: Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/2003 14:33:45
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 21:07:52 +0200
Martin Schmitz <martin-schmitz@web.de> wrote:

> If one owns a stable NetBSD 1.6.1, is it recommended to use the
> pkgsrc.tar.gz package found under NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets or is it
> possible to use this one found under NetBSD-current/tar_files? Does the
> system turn into an unstable state if I use the latter one and update it
> via cvs from time to time?
>
> TIA,
> Martin

You can use either tar ball. If you use the one from current, then at any
given moment one or more things may not build. From my experience what
does build is stable enough for production. In the time between releases,
a lot of serious security problems can accumulate, so I use -current pkgsrc,
I use sysutls/pkgchk and build in a chrooted environment. It can
sometime take a few days and a bit of luck to get a snapshot of current
pkgsrc where everything you need builds without incident.

An alternative would be to get pkgsrc via cvs and to track the netbsd-1-6-1
branch, at least until some security problem forces you to start tracking
-current pkgsrc.

I hope that helps.

--
Harry Waddell