Subject: RE: can't figure out port forwarding. :-(
To: NetBSD <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <fernando@rxp.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/27/2003 10:10:02

Secure? Eek! I knew it couldn't be this easy. :-P

> Have you seen the
> http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ site? It's an excellent tutorial that will
> teach you the basics of firewalling.

wow. Another big read. I just downloaded it and can see the problem with
reading unix files with Note Pad. That prompted me to find a text editor
that I _can_ use. I've been using Jen's File Editor for writing code. It
seems to work fine with unix style text files. I guess I'll be getting some
schoolin' in today :-)

> >thanks for all the help.
> >
> >Fernando
> >
> >PS: Still wish there was somthing better than VI for command line file
> >editing. :-\
> >

> There is. Do you know about the package system? Check out
> http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-pack.html (which is
> linked from www.netbsd.org/Documentation, it's part of The NetBSD Guide).
> Also check out http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/ where you can
> see software packages indexed by category (can someone chime in here about
> how to see the file in your browser, you have to add a :anonymous to the
> end of the url or something). You'll be able to find the editors people
> pointed you to in the package system.
>
> -Tim

Will i need these packages for the firewall? I'm sure I will when I put
together a NetBSD box for learning all this Unix stuff, but is there
anything pressing that I should download right away for the bare-bones
firewall I have at the office? (i mean asside from the filter file you
mentioned). I do want to make sure it's secure. Is the ipf files all i will
need to make that happen?

Thanks Tim. This is a big help.

Fernando