Subject: Re: can't figure out port forwarding. :-(
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/26/2003 19:23:27
On Mon, 26 May 2003 12:02:52 -0400, <fernando@rxp.com> wrote:

> PS: "vi" is KILLING me. Can I just share the whole drive and use
> notepad?

Problem is, NetBSD's idea of a text file line terminator is a single 0x0A
(LF) character, whereas Win32 uses 0x0D 0xOA (CRLF).

If you create NetBSD text files with Notepad, you'll introduce carriage
returns (CR), that in some cases will interfere with the file being
properly understood.

OTOH, if you open with Notepad a file that was created using any NetBSD
technique, it won't display it properly.  When Notepad encounters a bare
LF without a corresponding CR, it pretends it doesn't know what it is, and
displays a square character.  The succeeding character follows immediately
after, instead of being placed on the next line on the left margin.  IOW,
no line termination.  Very hard to read.

I use nedit for all my text editing (except quick and simple vi stuff).
It requires X.  My only complaints are its lack of integration with gcc
and gdb, and the fact that it can't act as a filter.

--jkl