Subject: Resolved? -- was Re: overcoming BIOS disk size limitations
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@panix.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/25/2003 22:51:42
James Wetterau says:

> Patrick Welche says:
> > On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:33:23AM -0400, James Wetterau wrote:
> > ..
> > > I've tried dropping out of sysinst and writing a correctly formatted
> > > disklabel to the disk.
> >
> > At that point, could you mount the partitions you defined in the
> > disklabel?
>
> I didn't define any partitions on the disklabel.  All I specified on
> the disklabel was the size of the disk.
>
> The problem is that during the installation, even though, after I
> wrote the disklabel sysinst correctly sees a 100GB disk, it also won't
> let me touch anything after the first 32GB of the disk.  It won't let
> me access any of the cylinders beyond there or create a BSD partition
> that has any part after the first 32GB's.
>
> I'm now installing.  Once I'm done installing, will there be some way
> to get to the rest of the disk?  How would I do that?

OK, I've succeeded in manually modifying the disklabel, such that wd0c
and wd0d are the correct size.  sysinst created wd0a and wd0e during
the installation, to which I've added wd0f.  It takes up the last 60
GB of the drive, and I verified I can write to it, so I can use the
whole drive.  I've also upped the rpm in the disklabel (from 3,600 to
7,200 -- does changing this in the disklabel have any real effect?)
and upped the cylinders form 4,092 to the correct value of 16,383.

However, at boot time, the boot process still reports 4,092 cylinders
and a 32GB disk.  fdisk still reports a NetBSD disklabel disk geometry
of 4,092 cylinders -- the original value created by sysinst.

Is it ok for my system to have these two disparate ideas of the number
of cylinders on the disk?  I suppose it doesn't matter ot me, as long
as I can write to the whole disk, but if there is some theoretical
problem, (for example with fsck or the like) I'd like to fix it now,
when the machine is freshly installed.