Subject: Re: CUPS problem: "/dev/lp: no such file or directory,"
To: Richard L. Dery <dickdery@teleport.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2003 12:13:05
On Sat, 24 May 2003, Richard L. Dery wrote:

> I'm trying to get CUPS 1.1.18 working with NetBSD 1.6 and an Epson
> Stylus C62. The computer is a P166.
>
> I know that cupsd is communicating with the printer. The printer
> "chatters" when cupsd is started. I can install the printer and print a

When you install the printer in CUPS, make sure you tell it the correct
device name.

> test page. However, trying to print from an application fails. When I
> check lpq I get an "unknown printer: lp" message.  Also, during
> startup,an error message, "lpd [188]: /dev/lp: no such file or
> directory" comes up. I've tried going into the /dev/directory and
> running MAKEDEV, but 'MAKEDEV all' doesn't create an lp device, and
> 'MAKEDEV -lp' generates an error message.

I think your CUPS config is wrong. It probably should be /dev/lpt0 or
/dev/lpa0 if using parallel.

But ...

Last fall, I patched CUPS source because it failed to detect the working
parallel port under NetBSD because of error 16, "Device busy", when doing
open(device, O_WRONLY).

The source then was cups-1.1.15/backend/parallel.c. I can't remember if
that was fixed. If not, then it won't detect parallel.

(I use CUPS on a few NetBSD and Linux systems built from pkgsrc.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/