Subject: CUPS problem: "/dev/lp: no such file or directory,"
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard L. Dery <dickdery@teleport.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/24/2003 10:44:24
I'm trying to get CUPS 1.1.18 working with NetBSD 1.6 and an Epson
Stylus C62. The computer is a P166.

I know that cupsd is communicating with the printer. The printer
"chatters" when cupsd is started. I can install the printer and print a
test page. However, trying to print from an application fails. When I
check lpq I get an "unknown printer: lp" message.  Also, during
startup,an error message, "lpd [188]: /dev/lp: no such file or
directory" comes up. I've tried going into the /dev/directory and
running MAKEDEV, but 'MAKEDEV all' doesn't create an lp device, and
'MAKEDEV -lp' generates an error message.

Help, please

Dick Dery