Subject: Re: overcoming BIOS disk size limitations
To: Dividere <dividere@reva.sixgirls.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/2003 08:52:19
On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:56:57PM -0400, Dividere wrote:
> The ide chip does not support 48 bit registers. To fix this in software
> would so slow it would be unusable. The easiest solution is to get a cheap
> pci ide card.

Errm...

48bit addressing is only needed to access beyond (about) 128GB.
The disk in question is only 100GB so that liit doesn't apply.
The 48bit addressing is backwards compatible with existing hardware
and software [1] for accesses below 128GB.

The 100GB disk is probably part of a family that has larger members.

The 32GB limit is caused by the number of sectors in the translated
geometry being > 2^16.

NetBSD should not be doing 48bit LBA transfers on disks of less than
128GB, nor probably on sectors below 128GB on larger disks.
(But I've not looked at that code today.)

	David

[1] subject to it getting confused by the disk size...

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk