Subject: Re: xterm: Can't execvp screen; sleep 10: Permission denied
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Pierre-Philipp Braun <ppwb@club-internet.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/20/2003 00:43:06
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Because it doesn't split this in 2 commands.

ok

> Try
> xterm -e sh -c "screen ; sleep 10" ?

Then, during ten seconds, i get a blank xterm window without even a shell
prompt.

> For xterm -e screen not working: I suspect it's a PATH problem.
> Try xterm -e /usr/pkg/bin/screen (assuming screen is in /usr/pkg/bin of course)

Yes it's into /usr/pkg/bin/ here. But even with full path, there is no
changes, neither using xterm -e nor typing it into an xterm directly.

I use screen-3.9.15 and it doesn't start into xterms.
No changes neither with no screenrc nor with the one found into
/usr/pkg/share/examples/screen/screenrc nor with my own one that looks
pretty like /usr/pkg/share/examples/screen/screenrc.

What could explain this difficulty i have? Screen works great on console,
but just doesn't launch into X for now:

	- when i type 'screen' directly into an xterm, nothing happends, i get the
next prompt with no error msg.

	- when i type 'xterm -e screen' into an xterm, the xterm close
fastly.

	- when i type 'xterm -e sh -c "screen ; sleep 10"', i get a blank
xterm (window title is ok: sh), with nothing in it... during ten seconds.

It could be a personnal mistake i did into some configuration, but i don't
see what other configurations than screenrc and $PATH could be related to
that matter.

That for your support.
--
Pierre-Philipp