Subject: overcoming BIOS disk size limitations
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@panix.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2003 10:33:23
I'm trying to install NetBSD on a machine with a 100 GB EIDE disk and
where the BIOS has a 32 GB disk size limitation -- a known bug.  (I've
flashed it with the latest manufacturer supplied update which did not
overcome the problem.  There are other updates of uncertain provenance
floating around on the web, but I haven't found any that promise
dealing with disks larger than 64 GB.)

At some point in the install process, no matter how I deal with
sysint, I'm told the disksize is 32 GB and cannot choose values larger
than that for my partition sizes.  I've tried setting the geometry
manually, but no matter what values I use I end up with this 32 GB
limit.

I've tried dropping out of sysinst and writing a correctly formatted
disklabel to the disk.  This has the result that the sysinst program
shows one partition as having the correct size, but it will still not
allow me to make any BSD partitions that are located after the first
32 GB's of the disk.

Is there a way past this problem, or must I either find a suitable
upgrade to my BIOS or replace it?