Subject: Re: 1.6 to 1.6.1 upgrade
To: Mark Wild <markw@sdf.lonestar.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2003 08:10:56
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Mark Wild wrote:

> Where can I get the sys src to build a 1.6.1 kernel?
> As I understand it there should be a 1.6 patch001 release and I can't find
> it. I do want a stable release not current. DO I have to get this from
> anoncvs?

The kernel sources for the officially released 1.6.1 may be downloaded
from here:

    ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

Source snapshots for the branch, post 1.6.1, are layed out the same
way, with "source" at the same level as the arch directories:

    ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200305180000/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

To build a kernel from sources that are newer than your installed
system, you may (or may not) have to download all the sources to build
the toolchain first. With the sources your installed system was built
from, you should never have to. In any case, try "make dependall
USETOOLS=no" in the kernel build directory, after creating it with
"config MYKERNEL". (Without USETOOLS=no, it would try to use the
toolchain, which doesn't exist, and so would fail immediately.)

Frederick