Subject: Re: xterm: Can't execvp screen; sleep 10: Permission denied
To: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
From: Pierre-Philipp Braun <ppwb@club-internet.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2003 04:58:14
On Mon, 19 May 2003, Geoff Wing wrote:
> So you really just want to run screen within a normal xterm, but not
> necessarily from a launched xterm.  Is this right?

What's the difference between a normal xterm and a launched xterm? I don't
get what you mean.

FYI, the xterms i use here are launched by the WM, ie. blackbox/menu or
blackbox/bbkeys, and those are the xterms (rxvts to be more precise) i want
to launch screens into.

> What happens when you start an xterm, then run "screen" from the shell?

When i start 'xterm -display :0.X' on console, then returns to X and
launches screens in it, it works, just like 'xterm -display :0.X -e screen'
on console.

> Do you get the licence page or an error message or nothing?

When i start an xterm into X, and run 'screen', i get nothing.
The only way i found to get an error msg was to do this
xterm -e "screen ; sleep 10"
which gives
xterm: Can't execvp screen; sleep 10: Permission denied

> : Is there a way to launch a screen into an xterm within X ?
>
> Sure, you should be able to run screen in an xterm without any problems.
> Lots of people do, including me.

I'm not, sad for me. And BTW I used to had this difficulty on another box
running NetBSD 1.6 with default X. Here i have NetBSD 1.6.1 with default X
too, ie. 4.2.1.

Thanks for your help.
(i go to bed, looking that thread tomorrow again)

--
Pierre-Philipp