Subject: Re: aspell cannot find a shared library
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/13/2003 23:43:22
 --- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org> wrote: > hi,

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:59:14PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to use aspell to check some HTML documents for spelling
> > errors. However, when I invoke aspell, I get the following error:
> >
> > Shared object "libltdl.so.3" not found
> >
> > I have all the related packages installed:
> >
> > ncurses-5.2         CRT screen handling and optimization package
> > libpspell-0.12.2nb1 generic interface to spell checker libraries
> > aspell-0.33.7.1     spell checker with good multi-language support
> >
> > Does anyone know why this is happening? It seems like I am missing
> > some library, but I cannot find out what it is (I have read through
> > the documentation and there are not any clear indications of what
> > aspell needs at run-time).
>
> libltdl.so is part of libtool, the older aspell required it for
> language modules.  your aspell package seems to be a bit outdated,
> since
> 0.50.x the interface has changed and libpspell ceased to exist at
> all.
> maybe you updated libtool and didn't rebuild aspell packages?
>
> i'd suggest you to update your aspell packages, either from pkgsrc
> HEAD
> (-current) or netbsd-1-6-1 branch.  they both have the new packages.

Well, I didn't build any of these packages! These are the binary
packages from the 1.6 release (which I am using). Since I haven't
rebuilt (or built) anything it should work fine.

The file 'libltdl.so.3' doesn't seem to exist on the system though,
because libtool isn't installed. So basically the dependency
information is incomplete for the binary package for aspell: I will try
to get libtool and see if it works after I install it (this is much
easier than trying to get all the dependecies for a build, which will
at least be as much and probably more bandwidth+time [excaberated by
dial-up]). If that fails, I will use pkgsrc as suggested.

Thanks.