Subject: Re: mplayer, movies.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/13/2003 20:17:59
Lots of GREAT information.  Thanks much!

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:19:11PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Probably the most relevant change lately, is that the build is no
> longer optimized for the build host (mostly so we can build binary
> packages). You can turn that back on for yourself by setting
> MPLAYER_ENABLE_RUNTIME_CPU_DETECTION=NO in "/etc/mk.conf".

I'm just now in the process of upgrading my own pkgsrc.  Fortunately,
perhaps, I hit a bunch of snags so I haven't gotten much of anything
done yet.  Question is, are there other packages like mplayer where
the "build is nolonger optimized for the build host?"  If so, is there
a generic way of optimizing for the build host for all packages?

> It also seemed to help, a lot, to compile the kernel with submodel
> optimization. I'm currently running 1.6.1/i386, built with gcc-3.2.3,
> "-O3 -march=k6-2". For your athlon, it might be reasonable to at least

I'd really like to try something like "submodel optimization" of kernels
for some of my older hardware.  How do you pass flags like "-O3 -march=k6-2"
to the compiler, and how would I know what value is right for what machine?
Haven't any idea what docs I should be looking for.  TIA!

--
henry nelson