Subject: pkgsrc - looking to learn how to create packages safely
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brad Volz <bradv@affectation.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/10/2003 17:58:47
Hello,

What is the best way to experiment with creating a package without
placing the remainder of one's pkgsrc tree, and system in danger?

Basically, I have found a few bits of software that I would like to use
that are not already in pkgsrc.  Having never created a package before, I
am somewhat concerned about what may happen to my system while I am
learning.  I have read Packages.txt, but I did not understand it all.  Is
there perhaps any other source of information about how to build a package
that may have some examples also?

If it helps to to know what I am most interested in currently, it is
David Schweikert's Mailgraph
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~dws/software/mailgraph/

As far as I can tell, all of the perl modules except for File-Tail are
already in pkgsrc.

Thanks,

Brad