Subject: Re: Sparc 5 install won't
To: NetBSD-help list <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: The Old Bear <oldbear@arctos.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/10/2003 16:02:12
At 05:04 PM 5/10/03, joerch <helix@mayn.de> wrote:

>Any messages appearing while booting ?

Yes... if I interpret this correctly, it looks like it's running its
boot track but not finding the rest of the O/S...

     SPARCstation 5, No Keyboard
     ROM Rev. 2.15 Pilot, 64 MB memory installed, Serial #3603993.
     Ethernet address 8:0:20:22:90:1a, Host ID: 8036fe19.

     Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0  File
and args:
     >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.12
     >> (autobuild@tgm.daemon.org, Mon Sep  9 08:12:32 UTC 2002)
     Booting netbsd
     open netbsd: No such file or directory
     : trying netbsd.gz...
     Booting netbsd.gz
     open netbsd.gz: No such file or directory
     : trying netbsd.old...
     Booting netbsd.old
     open netbsd.old: No such file or directory
     : trying netbsd.old.gz...
     Booting netbsd.old.gz
     open netbsd.old.gz: No such file or directory
     : trying onetbsd...
     Booting onetbsd
     open onetbsd: No such file or directory
     : trying onetbsd.gz...
     Booting onetbsd.gz
     open onetbsd.gz: No such file or directory
     : trying vmunix...
     Booting vmunix
     open vmunix: No such file or directory

     device[/iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0:a]
("halt" to halt):

>Check the bootrom for the bootdevice entry.
>My memories saying: bootdevice default is the disc with id3.
>Type probe-scsi on the bootrom prompt.

     ok probe-scsi
     Target 1
       Unit 0   Disk     SEAGATE ST31200W SUN1.05872400792527
                         Copyright (c) 1994 Seagate
                         All rights reserved 0000
     Target 3
       Unit 0   Disk     SEAGATE ST31200W SUN1.05872400478779
                         Copyright (c) 1994 Seagate
                         All rights reserved 0000

>Type printenv on the bootrom prompt.

     ok printenv
     Parameter Name        Value                          Default Value

     tpe-link-test?        true                           true
     output-device         screen                         screen
     input-device          keyboard                       keyboard
     keyboard-click?       false                          false
     keymap
     ttyb-rts-dtr-off      false                          false
     ttyb-ignore-cd        true                           true
     ttya-rts-dtr-off      false                          false
     ttya-ignore-cd        true                           true
     ttyb-mode             9600,8,n,1,-                   9600,8,n,1,-
     ttya-mode             9600,8,n,1,-                   9600,8,n,1,-
     fcode-debug?          false                          false
     local-mac-address?    false                          false
     screen-#columns       80                             80
     screen-#rows          34                             34
     selftest-#megs        1                              1
     scsi-initiator-id     7                              7
     silent-mode?          false                          false
     auto-boot?            true                           true
     watchdog-reboot?      false                          false
     diag-file
     diag-device           net                            net
     boot-file
     boot-device           /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,840 ...   disk net
     sbus-probe-list       541230                         541230
     use-nvramrc?          false                          false
     nvramrc
     sunmon-compat?        false                          false
     security-mode         none                           none
     security-password
     security-#badlogins   0                              <no default>
     oem-logo                                             <no default>
     oem-logo?             false                          false
     oem-banner                                           <no default>
     oem-banner?           false                          false
     hardware-revision                                    <no default>
     last-hardware-update                                 <no default>
     testarea              0                              0
     mfg-switch?           false                          false
     diag-switch?          false                          false
     ok

You might also be interested in the device aliases because I get the
same response from the system if I go to the openboot prompt and
type "boot disk"

     ok devalias
     screen  /iommu@0,10000000/sbus@0,10001000/cgsix@3,0
     ttyb    /obio/zs@0,100000:b
     ttya    /obio/zs@0,100000:a
     keyboard!       /obio/zs@0,0:forcemode
     keyboard        /obio/zs@0,0
     floppy  /obio/SUNW,fdtwo
     scsi    /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000
     net-aui /iommu/sbus/ledma@5,8400010:aui/le@5,8c00000
     net-tpe /iommu/sbus/ledma@5,8400010:tpe/le@5,8c00000
     net     /iommu/sbus/ledma@5,8400010/le@5,8c00000
     disk    /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@3,0
     cdrom   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@6,0:d
     tape    /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/st@4,0
     tape0   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/st@4,0
     tape1   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/st@5,0
     disk3   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@3,0
     disk2   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@2,0
     disk1   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0
     disk0   /iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@0,0
     ok

> > into Redhat linux but I did not have the root password, and rather than
> > recover it, I decided that NetBSD would be more interesting on this
> > vintage machine.
>
>You are right ;), forget your redhat installation and go
>on with your netbsd system ;).
>
> > What now?
>
>Just another question:
>Do you have experience with sparc machines ?

Just enough to know that I don't know very much.  I've played with
installing operating systems on another Sparc 5 for a friend and on
several old IPC/IPX machines, including one NetBSD.

I truly appreciate your help.

Regards,
Will
The Old Bear