Subject: Re: Sparc 5 install won't
To: The Old Bear <oldbear@arctos.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/10/2003 21:43:12
--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

hi,

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 02:47:02PM -0400, The Old Bear wrote:
>=20
> Unfortunately, the system will NOT boot from sd0.  I can restart it by
> booting from the first installation floppy and break out to the #
> prompt.  From there I can poke around a rudimentary file system but I
> am not sure whether this is on sd0, on the floppy, or only in memory
> as part of the first installation floppy having been run as a boot
> diskette.
>=20
> Prior to attempting this installation, the Sparc was booting from sd0
> into Redhat linux but I did not have the root password, and rather
> than recover it, I decided that NetBSD would be more interesting on
> this vintage machine.
>=20
> What now?

it seems that you hit the "sysinst doesn't install GENERIC kernel on
sparc"-issue.  you can verify it by checking whether your / filesystem
has /netbsd file on it.  it's fixed in 1.6.1.  you can either copy the
kernel manually at this point with ftp to your hard drive or just
install 1.6.1.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --