Subject: Re: mac hd sc problem
To: gong li <gongli@cutey.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/08/2003 09:34:37
At 6:29 PM -0500 5/7/03, gong li wrote:
>hi
>
>background:
>i have an old performa 636cd, 68lc040 which i dont have the money to
>upgrade.  i dont believe it has the emulation bug since its a later
>68lc040, just no fp.  it has a single harddrive, 1 hfs partition.
>regardless, i would like to install netbsd, i downloaded the 1.6.1
>iso, made the netbsd folder.  i dont have the 19 floppies of macos
>7.5.3 and would like to avoid getting them if possible.
>
>situation:
>i would like to partition the disk, but when i run the apple hd sc
>utility, it doesn't see any drives.  when i click "get info" on my
>hard drive, it says id0.
>
>questions:
>0. is netbsd on 68lc040 worthless?
>
>1. how can i get hd sc to find and partition my harddrive?
>
>2. do i need 1 macos partition to boot into and run the netbsd
>booter, and another partition which is netbsd native root/usr?
>
>3. if the answer 2 is yes, then since the partitioning destroys the
>contents of the harddrive, how do i make sure there's a macos
>partition where i can run the booter from?
>thanks for any help.  im looking forward to running netbsd!

Yes, you will need both MacOS HFS partition and NetBSD partition(s).
You will likely want a root/usr and a swap partition. The HD SC Setup
apps of that era were hardcoded to only work on Apple-rebrand hard
drives. The NetBSD/Mac68k FAQ has pointers to hack HD SC Setup to
work on any drive (it's a 2-second ResEdit hack or there are pre-done
versions available).

As for downloading the whole 7.5.3 set, all you need for bootable
floppies is either the Disk Tools floppy or the NAD (Network Access
Disk) floppy images. As far as keeping the HFS partition bootable
after the repartition, you would need to put that data elsewhere and
then copy it back to the hard drive after you finish the partitioning.

For using the 68LC040, there are people who are using it fairly
successfully (although it's slower than a full 040). Someone has a
release snapshot built with special options to help it work better,
but I don't recall where at the moment.

Future questions will probably get better response on the mac68k
list, as that's where all of the mac68k experts hide :-).

HTH
Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.