Subject: Re: fsck info
To: Timothy A. Musson <timothy.musson@zin-tech.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/07/2003 12:42:21
On Wednesday 07 May 2003 11:16, Timothy A. Musson wrote:
> Could somebody point me to info about how to modify how often the system
> does automatic fsck? I've been looking quite a bit and keeping getting hits
> for Linux. I'm running NetBSD 1.3.3 (and it is not possible to upgrade).

The reason you get all the hits for Linux is that NetBSD ( all the BSDs I
think) don't do this.  There is no particular reason to do an fsck on a
NetBSD filesystem just because it hasn't happened for a while.  If you find
any evidence that it needs it then file a PR because that would suggest a bug
in the FS code that we should fix rather than masking.

That's one of the real nice things about NetBSD.  The developers are obsessed
with doing things correctly rather than conveniently.

Of course, if upgrading from 1.3.3 is not possible then you won't benifit from
any fixes.  If you think that you need it from time to time then look at the
-f option to fsck and consider adding that to /etc/rc.d/fsck so that it runs
every time you reboot unless you fastboot it.

> Also, I don't know much about fsck (obviously), but info about whether or
> not it takes longer to fsck a full drive vs. a nearly empty one would be
> helpful. (I would think that to be the case, because there are more files.)

I assume it would be slower on a full drive just because it has to check more
filenames and such but I don't know by how much.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/