Subject: Re: postcript on an epson printer
To: Ian Grant <idgrant@optusnet.com.au>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/07/2003 02:45:15
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2003/05/06/0001.html

I *never* got the "uniprint" driver to work.  I'm not sure that it is anymore
than a conceptual scaffold.

But in general, GhostScript works very nicely for driving the 3 different
(non-PostScript) printers that I've used: Two Epson dotmatrix and one HP
laser printer.  It gets quirky if you feed it PDF files, but what do you
expect, there?

The second Epson printer that I had set up was an LQ850, if memory serves.
I drove it with the "epsonc" driver, initially, because that was the closest
match.  It muddied color (and grey?) images, though, because the printer was
b&w.  The later epsonlq driver worked beautifully, of course, as GhostScript
generally does.  The trick is always finding a good match...

It has, however, been a long time since I had that printer hooked up.
The setup you (Ian) show here looks about right, though I'm a little
disturbed by the "Treat LF as CR+LF" bit.  Is it necessary?  I'd think
that the GhostScript driver

Do you have any output in the printing log files?  If you replace the
"gs" command with simply "cat", do you get get the PostScript sources
printed?  (Maybe try with a hand-crafted short PostScript file...*grin*)