Subject: Re: pciide slow boot
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/08/2003 00:40:57
 --- Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote: > On Mon, Apr 07,
2003 at 01:25:28PM -0400, Gary Thorpe wrote:
> > I tried a 1.6 install CD in the machine with the hard disk, cdrom,
> and
> > cdrw drives: the only pause is just after the message "pciide
> channel 0
> > wired to interrupt 15" or similar and it lasted less than 5
> seconds.

This was closer to the actual message:

pciide1: primary channel wired to compatibility mode

> > The primary channel does not in fact have any atapi devices on it:
> only
> > the hard disk is on the channel and it is set as the master. The
> > secondary channel is properly configured with master/slave settings
> > also and experiences no pauses in the probe.
> >
> > If atapi mandates a 30 second wait for the probe it apparently is
> not
> > being applied in this case. Sounds like a bug, not a feature:
> either
> > its not being applied when it should or there shouldn't be a pause
> at all.
>
> it *up to* 30 seconds. If the devices comes ready before 30s there is
> no
> reasons to wait that long. But if a device never comes ready,
> we have to wait 30 seconds before declaring it dead.
>
> A bus with a slave an no master can easily (depending on how things
> behaves)
> appear as a dead master.

In both cases where I see the pause, there are no slaves on the
channel. My laptop's cdrom is the sole device on the channel and it is
a master. The desktop's hard disk is the sole device on the channel and
it is the master. The former is atapi/secondary channel, the latter is
ide/primary channel.

Since the wait is for atapi devices, I shouldn't expect a pause when it
is probing the hard disk, but there it is when it boots.