Subject: filtering and IPSec
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <chris@cjones.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/26/2003 16:49:15
At work, I have a combination firewall/IPSec tunnel endpoint which is
running NetBSD.  It works very nicely, except for one thing:  As
documented in several places (like ipf(4)), ipf scans the incoming
packets before they get to IPSec.  So, I can either allow the main
office to send us encrypted traffic, or I can disallow them; I have no
finer control than that.

Because the main office is somewhat large, and because a lot of computer
attacks are some form of internal attacks, I'd like to have fine-grained
control over firewall rules between my office and the main office.  It
would be nice if I had another computer; then I could put IPSec and
firewall services on two different machines, and that would let me put
lots of controls on things.

Does anybody know any other ways to achieve this level of control,
without buying another computer?

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                       Mad scientist at large