Subject: 1.6 disk2 problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <Ranjiniganesh@aol.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/2003 14:27:09
--part1_d.ccd2c37.2bb0b60d_boundary

From: Ranjiniganesh@aol.com
Full-name: Ranjiniganesh
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:45:23 EST
To: port-sparc@netbsd.org

--part2_d.ccd2c37.2baf0663_boundary

 I have a SparcStation 10 with a floppy drive. Currently it has a very old
version
of SunOS which is broken. I am trying to scratch it and build netbsd 1.6 on
it.
I tried building 2 floppies from the 1.6 release - but they did not work.
I downloaded the floppy images from the netbsd ftp side and used rawrite on
my
pc to write them to the floppy.

The first disk kept coming back with wrong magic number / sun label etc.
Then i read through the archives and  found a build at
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200303010000/sparc/install

ation/floppy

The first floppy now boots fine - but the second one does not work. Can
anyone
tell me where to get a working image of the second image?

The problem with the second disk is:

I have a brand new box of floppies and if i try the rawrite version from the
net
bsd site - half through writing it come back saying error writing to disk. If
I try
a version of rawrite from the internet - it writes the disk without errors.

When i boot from floppy with boot floppy netbsd - it boots the first floppy
fine
and asks for the second floppy. When i put in the second floppy i get the
following error.

Floppy device to load the installation utilities from [/dev/rfd0a]:
Extracting installation utilities...
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0
fd0: controller status: state 17 (st0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,drv_chck> cyl 0)
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-127
fd0: controller status: state 17 (st0 70<abnrml,seek_cmplt,drv_chck> cyl 0)
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached

ATTENTION! tar archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 1
Input archive name or "." to quit tar.
Archive name >

and that never works.

Can anyone help me out here? I have ftp running on my PC and have downloaded
the binary sets and all i need now is for the second floppy to work and then
i can
download / complete the entire installation.

I have tried the floppy images from the iso image, standard installation and
the
latest version i could find - all have the same problem.

--part2_d.ccd2c37.2baf0663_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> I have a SparcStation 10 with a floppy drive. Current=
ly it has a very old version<BR>
of SunOS which is broken. I am trying to scratch it and build netbsd 1.6 on=20=
it.<BR>
I tried building 2 floppies from the 1.6 release - but they did not work. <B=

I downloaded the floppy images from the netbsd ftp side and used rawrite on=20=
my<BR>
pc to write them to the floppy.<BR>
<BR>
The first disk kept coming back with wrong magic number / sun label etc. <BR=

Then i read through the archives and&nbsp; found a build at <BR>
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-1-6/200303010000/sparc/insta=
llation/floppy<BR>
<BR>
The first floppy now boots fine - but the second one does not work. Can anyo=
ne<BR>
tell me where to get a working image of the second image?<BR>
<BR>
The problem with the second disk is:<BR>
<BR>
I have a brand new box of floppies and if i try the rawrite version from the=
 net<BR>
bsd site - half through writing it come back saying error writing to disk. I=
f I try<BR>
a version of rawrite from the internet - it writes the disk without errors.<=

<BR>
When i boot from floppy with boot floppy netbsd - it boots the first floppy=20=
fine<BR>
and asks for the second floppy. When i put in the second floppy i get the<BR=

following error.<BR>
<BR>
Floppy device to load the installation utilities from [/dev/rfd0a]:<BR>
Extracting installation utilities...<BR>
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0<BR>
fd0: controller status: state 17 (st0 70&lt;abnrml,seek_cmplt,drv_chck&gt; c=
yl 0)<BR>
fd0a: hard error reading fsbn 0 of 0-127<BR>
fd0: controller status: state 17 (st0 70&lt;abnrml,seek_cmplt,drv_chck&gt; c=
yl 0)<BR>
tar: End of archive volume 1 reached<BR>
<BR>
ATTENTION! tar archive volume change required.<BR>
Ready for archive volume: 1<BR>
Input archive name or "." to quit tar.<BR>
Archive name &gt;<BR>
<BR>
and that never works.<BR>
<BR>
Can anyone help me out here? I have ftp running on my PC and have downloaded=
<BR>
the binary sets and all i need now is for the second floppy to work and then=
 i can<BR>
download / complete the entire installation.<BR>
<BR>
I have tried the floppy images from the iso image, standard installation and=
 the<BR>
latest version i could find - all have the same problem. </FONT></HTML>