Subject: Re: when to 'make clean' in the kernel compile directory?
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/21/2003 22:51:50
>afterboot(8) man page (from -current) says:
>
>     If you are building your kernel again, before you do a make you
>should do a make depend after making changes (including updates or
>patches) to your kernel source, or a make clean after making changes to
>your kernel options.
>
>Is the part about 'make clean' true? I was thinking that make
>automatically determine which options have changed and determine what
>should be recompiled, and that special files created by config named
>opt_xxx.h are used for that.  I never did 'make clean'.

not *all* options are defopt'ed.  indeed, if you were to add one, that
would not be defopt'ed.  it is because of this that the make clean is
recommended.

note, however, that if you're not changing options all that much, or
you're only changing ones that you found in the GENERIC config file,
you're probably okay.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."