Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on a laptop (but wait, the complications grow)...
To: None <Netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/2003 11:55:39
Quoting Harry Waddell (waddell@caravan.com):
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 19:37:31 -0500
> Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Arlen Cuss (acuss@optusnet.com.au):
> > > but that is a v. good idea, however I'm not sure how differently laptop
> > > hdd's are designed, and also my desktop
> > > is a slim-line box; not really designed for additions.
> > Bad design can always be fixed with a hacksaw.
>
> Or run the pc with the case open or cover off.

Clearly spoken by someone who's never run SGIs.  SGI design, I swear,
must involve putting stuff in until it catches fire.  Then they take
that last thing out and sell it.

Without a case, airflow isn't directed.  Had an IT kid who kept the
case off his box and hated our chosen motherboards cause they all
failed.  After 3, I suggested that maybe the fans were place to
keep air going over the hot parts and if he's put the damn
case back on, they'd get to work.

> > I dunno if it's an IDE drive.  There are "little IDE" to regular
> > IDE adapters.
>
> Since the desktop machine is running windows, I'd just disconnect
> the cable from the pc's boot drive, and plug it into the adapter.

Then never plug that windows disk in again.

> > Then stick a nonconductive, I dunno, mouse pad, under it.
> > No reason not to have cables and drives hanging out of
> > your machine.  Puts hair on your chest.
> I just turn the drive over on it's back, or let it hang vertically from the
> ide cable inside the case because I'm lazy and fearless. Insulation is for
> wimps.

I have a dead Apple ][+ from that attitude.  "Oh, it will never fall
in among those point metal parts and short things out."