Subject: Re: i82596 On-Board network adapter on NetBSD/i386
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jyry Suuntala <jyry@helzinki.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/2003 01:06:19
Thanks for the tip. More burning questions. I've got the IRQ ready to
rock'n roll. The machine is an ancient Epson ExpressStation. The
manual's I/O map states that the chip has a range of 0CB0-OCB7 for the
LAN control registers and 0CB8-0CBF for LAN glue registers. Which one
should I pick? I am also confused with the configuration syntax of the
kernel config file. Are the above ranges for 'port' or for 'iomem'?

In any case I guess it should be something like:

ai0 at isa? port [help me] iomem [yikes!] irq 10 [plus maybe something]

If the range is 0CB0-OCB7 then I assume iomem 0x0CB0. I remember having
read that the controller chip needs 32 bits of something(can't find the
source anymore, maybe Intel). So do I have to define a range? If yes,
how? And also, correct me if I'm wrong but I've understood that the port
can be almost anything (user defined) such as 0x300 or 0x360, which are
usually free?

Thank you in advance.

-Jyry Suuntala