Subject: Re: i82596 On-Board network adapter on NetBSD/i386
To: Jyry Suuntala <jyry@helzinki.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/12/2003 22:17:07
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 03:52:09PM +0200, Jyry Suuntala wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have and Intel PBA 515338 motherboard with an integrated i82596
> chipset and I am searching for and answer whether this chipset is
> supported or not.
>
> Building a new kernel for NetBSD is no big deal but I am no guru with
> the kernel sources so I turn to you. I found some relevant information
> in /usr/src/sys/dev/ic/i82586reg.h. This file contains some references
> to the i82596 chipset but I have no idea whether the 'ic' directory has
> anything to do with i386 port of NetBSD.

This sys/dev/ic is for bus-independand part of the drivers, so
yes, it is sort-of related to i386 port.

> At the moment the i82596 has irq 10 according to BIOS. I have no idea of
> the i/o port. I have two 3C509C's connected as well. The first one, ep1
> at isapnp0 port 0x210/16 irq 3 and the second one, ep1 at isapnp0 port
> 0x220/16 irq 5. These might be causing an i/o port problem but I doubt
> it.
>
> My question is that, if the i82586reh.h has something to do with i386
> port, what kind of a line should I add to the kernel configuration to
> get the device working.

This is a more difficult question: there are 3 isa front-end for the
i82586 driver: ef, ai, and ix, for different model of i82586-based adapters.
I don't know which one is appropriate for your adapter. Maybe the manual
page for these drivers can help you ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>